Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Apple vs. Flash

Let me start by saying that I find Apple's refusal to support Adobe Flash on the iPhone and iPad mildly amusing. This wasn't always the case though, as I was initially frustrated when I bought my first iPhone. However, over time I learned to live without it on my mobile device, and simply went to my laptop anytime I needed flash. We all know the true reason for the lack of flash support, so let's move on to the iPad, which I find a little toy-like simply because:
  1. No USB ports
  2. Limited external video sources
  3. No Multi-tasking
  4. Locked down to the App store
Quite frankly, I have been able to live without various items on that list at one time or another, but why should I?

But I digress, let's get back to the point of my rant (Flash). This morning I received an email from Apple addressed to the account I used to purchase my iPhone. Does anything seem strange in the attached screenshot?

Like I said, I can live without Flash on my Apple devices... but can Apple? I find it hypocritical that the mighty Apple determines the specific technologies they will or won't support, but then chooses to not live by those same decisions.

I have been an Apple fan for some time now, but this type of controlling behavior is making me much less so. Like I said earlier, I can live with the quirky decisions Apple makes with their technology, but I just can't live with Apple the company.


No comments:

Post a Comment